Thursday, April 17, 2008

Osama's Corner Office

Apparently the infamously decentralized structure of al-Qaeda "coexisted with the bureaucratic mentality of the chiefs," as evidenced by recently declassified memos seen by the LA Times. Memo 1:

I was very upset by what you did. I obtained 75,000 rupees for you and your family's trip to Egypt. I learned that you did not submit the voucher to the accountant, and that you made reservations for 40,000 rupees and kept the remainder claiming you have a right to do so. . . . Also with respect to the air-conditioning unit, . . . furniture used by brothers in Al Qaeda is not considered private property. . . . I would like to remind you and myself of the punishment for any violation.

Memo 2:

Peace and God's mercy and blessings. . . praise to the Lord and salvation to his prophet. . . I have not received my salary in three months and I am six months behind in paying my rent. . . . You also told me to remind you, and this is a reminder.

The Times also has a 43-page memo that takes up 11 pages in transcribed, PDF format. All bureaucracies, even al-Qaeda, waste paper.

No comments: